Granite is a remarkably dense and strong stone, and therefore, it is naturally resistant to stains. Liquids that are spilled on its surface do not penetrate the stone if cleaned up within a few minutes. Water-based stains that are left on its surface also leave no lasting effect, though homeowners may notice a slight discoloration where the stone has temporarily absorbed the water. Do not panic, this is perfectly normal and once the water evaporates the stone’s color will return to normal. However, non-water based stains, like cooking oil, will eventually be absorbed by the granite if left on its surface. If this happens, apply a paste solution over the stain that will draw the oil out of the stone.